Re: [Xen-users] Install guest domains using virt-manager and iso images

To: Daniel Lam <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Install guest domains using virt-manager and iso images
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 12:12:48 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 02:13:21 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 08:58:44PM +1100, Daniel Lam wrote:
>    Hi All,
>    Hope I'm not too annoying yet..
>    I have CentOS 5.4 running as Domain 0.
>    I can create CentOS guest domains via network using virt-install.
>    However that's a bit slow, and I don't want to repeat the
>    download process again if I create new guest domains.
>    So my questions:
>    - Can I create guest CentOS domains using virt-install
>      and specify a dvd iso image as its installation source?

CentOS PV (paravirtual) guests cannot be installed from cd/dvd/iso.
Network installation is the only supported method with virt-manager and
virt-install.

You can always set up your own http/ftp/nfs mirror of the CentOS
installation tree, and use that from the LAN.

>    - If I can, where can I obtain the iso images? Should I
>      just use the standard installation iso images? However
>      I actually tried specifying "cd-rom" as installation source
>      before, hoping that I could create a guest domain
>      using the DVD I already burnt. However it says
>      "Paravirtualized guests cannot install off cdrom media".

like said, installing from CD/DVD/ISO is not supported.

CentOS .iso images are available from CentOS mirrors. You can download
the dvd .iso and make a installation network repository from that.

-- Pasi