Re: [Xen-users] Rapid Windows Provisioning

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Rapid Windows Provisioning
From: Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:13:34 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:14:13 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=1yuwekF57fMdFgw57Yw6jq1/pSjJCHwElizJ8d5H69E=; b=A2SW8wxePrRQHvgZgFJEK8OgqKfCYch6oiYFrWoPutm31n5rOIVfXBANjCNfFmYXH3 jayZnj4bMHwTWAc4y/c08GoEGxH11p9YDn06/tw6H9TVlJOdFAax5VGW7A5G1Bl8dhEJ +mck60/4s9JfnDekReKdiP81m8eWxYFioKpFw=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 14:43, Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> A boot-time script is certainly possible. Check out netdom.exe - it
>> can change the name and join the machine to the domain. I created a
>> script for this kind of work for our junior admins, so they could have
>> it on their USB sticks.
>
> I'll look for netdom - last I checked it was only in later versions of
> Windows - Vista and higher.  Maybe there's a download for it for XP - XP is
> the primary version of Windows that I'm interested in provisioning.
> Furthermore, AFAICT with my experience with netdom on Vista, 2008 and 7, it
> still requires a reboot.  Maybe if the script runs at the right time it will
> be okay...hard to say.
>

>> However, you risk leaving the account password hanging around, if
>> you're not careful - it has to be embedded in the script.
>>

> Point taken - I'll have to be careful with security on the script.  However,
> I also have an account set up that has absolutely no privileges on my domain
> except to join workstations, so at least it's not a full-blown administrative
> account.  It still warrants some care in handling the script, but it should
> mitigate some of that risk.
>
> -Nick

Netdom.exe is available as early as NT4, though that came from the
Server RK - I don't think it was in the Workstation RK. Nowadays you
can get it from the Windows Server CD - it's part of the Support Tools
- I don't think it's contained in adminpak.msi. Beware: The one from
the Win2k3 CD doesn't work on Win2k, though it works fine with XP. For
Win2k, you'll need the one from the Win2k RK. Don't have any
experience with Vista, 7, nor Win2k8.

Kurt