[Xen-users] Accessing UFS2 Filesystems in Logical Volume Disks of Virtua

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Accessing UFS2 Filesystems in Logical Volume Disks of Virtual Machines
From: "Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:16:08 +0800
Cc: space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:16:55 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=ldb7DVWSO2Inln3+T140Dv6RE9UE79FACxMkvoAWHyQ=; b=AaVTa1z3RRouMdOs3JXOd+4gcqPiQ1uZ3puRtZnA64RefyZChJdUqOjQHHLLiVvrjM KqowEc8shJwO4mflwKzPqmskNpNcFtnOBnznTbDOKj5a92/5NjQoA/pkrA22nhAnkmkc /u3w6fAq8+vciu1sLEja1AN+KramukvhkOnps=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
<space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:38 AM, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
> <space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a logical volume containing a FreeBSD 8.0 virtual machine. The
>> virtual harddisk for the FreeBSD UNIX VM contains one slice. And this
>> slice contains various UFS2 partitions.
>>
>> When I used kpartx to add mappings, I can only see the slice but not
>> the partitions within the slice.
>>
>> How can I have access to the partitions within the slice?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

> Hi,
>
> The solution that I found is for FreeBSD directly installed on bare
> metal machine. Please read the following discussions.
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/bsd-17/cannot-mount-freebsd-ufs-from-linux-191184/
>
> But my FreeBSD was installed as a virtual machine in a logical volume
> virtual harddisk.

Hi All,

I can only mount the first BSD partition "a" (root / filesystem) in
linux. All the rest of the partitions (b for swap, c represents the
entire disk, d for /var, e for /tmp, and f for /var) cannot be mounted
at all. I want to access /var and /usr as well. All of these
partitions (a to f) are inside the FreeBSD slice
/dev/mapper/virtualmachines-freebsd1. virtualmachines-freebsd1 is akin
to /dev/sda1.

--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
Engineering)