RE: [Xen-users] Xen.org Online Forums Reminder

To: "'Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Pasi Kärkkäinen' <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xen.org Online Forums Reminder
From: Stephen Spector <stephen.spector@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 11:07:05 -0400
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: 'XEN Mailing List' <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 08:07:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Good point, I would say it should be possible to view and search to
the general public, with registration being required for posting.  I guess
it is possible that this particular software doesn't allow that, but I have
always been under the impression that most forums that limit viewing to
registered users have alterior (not necessarily downright bad, but certainly
alterior) motives to doing so, such as collecting info, charging, avoiding
search indexes, etc.

RESPONSE: Dustin, I am only using the Online Forum tool that you linked to as a
trial balloon for the community. Before I take the time to setup a system and
get it launched,I wanted to make sure that there really was a demand out there.
As for the registration, there is no evil intentions at all, I think the system
needs you to register so it can track your answers and eventually start to show
who knows the most, etc. If we do decide to have an online forum, I will look
for something with no registration as I have no desire to charge, limit
searches, etc.

Thanks.

Stephen Spector