RE: [Xen-users] Disk performance under Xen

To: "Gavin Conway" <gavin.conway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Disk performance under Xen
From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 07:28:04 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 04:30:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For Linux, a HVM to PV migration shouldn't be a barrier.  Install a pv-ops
capable kernel in your domU (or 2.6.18 Xen-patched kernel), adjust configs and
restart the domU.

You can also stick with HVM, but why cripple things?  Wouldn't you rather have
device hotplug, balloon and fast I/O?

For Windows you can install the GPLPV driver to avoid emulated I/O.  I don't
know what options exist for any other OS.

Jeff