RE: [Xen-users] Nothing major left to do in Xen Networking ???

On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 13:31 -0400, Jeff Sturm wrote:
> The problem with getting feedback like this may be that Xen networking
> isn't perfect, but works well enough that there isn't a great deal of
> interest in improving it.

This is exactly what I meant in my former message, but you put it in
better words :)

> Speaking for myself however, I'd be interested in hearing about any
> efforts to get RSTP working with the Linux bridging driver, LiSA, or any
> software bridge implementation.  We've been experimenting with
> configurations involving Ethernet bonding vs. bridging, and the main
> disadvantage I see with bridging+STP is the time it takes to discover
> and react to a topology change.

LiSA main (git) branches are still maintained by the original project
authors. However, we are constantly encouraging young students to
contribute to the project and at the same time improve their programming
skills.

This year we have had two academic projects involving RSTP and bonding
support for LiSA. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the projects are not
yet complete and/or suitable for production use. Working with students
has proven to be a slow and tedious path towards adding more features to
the project.

Our primary goal however is to make the project known to people and to
create a user community. Then it would be easier to find people
interested in production use and financing the development of certain
features.

Last but not least, I kindly thank you for your feedback and promise to
keep you updated regarding RSTP support in LiSA.

Best,

Radu Rendec