Re: [Xen-users] Tools to take a kernel crash dump.

To: Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Tools to take a kernel crash dump.
From: Nick Anderson <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 14:17:41 -0500
Cc: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:18:31 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Luke S Crawford wrote:
If, for whatever reason, you can't use a serial console, another user suggested netconsole. (I haven't gotten netconsole working on a xenified
kernel, but that is not to say it can't be done;  I like serial consoles
so I didn't spend much time on netconsole) - the other downside of netconsole is that it's read only; fine for looking at your panics, but
it won't help you in the aforementioned 'I changed my firewall and now I can't
get in' case.
I have had netconsole working with a debian host. I never did get it working in a domU though (I dont know if it would work the way networking is done). Netconsole isnt too hard to setup but there is one key point. You have to specify the mac address of the destination host. Now if your destination host is not on the same subnet as you you need to specify the mac of your gateway.

http://www.cmdln.org/2009/01/21/remote-kernel-logging-with-netconsole-for-fun-and-profit/