Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.0 feature request

Why can't you save only one VM with LVM snapshots? Sounds like you have an odd implementation, rather that there being a problem with LVM. We export two LVs per domU - 1 'data' and 1 'swap'. I can easily snapshot the 'data' LV of any single domU without a performance problem.

How do you deal with the fact that you are snapshotting a dirty state ? Unless you are using LVM inside the DomU (in which case Xen is irrelevant), then when you make a snapshot, it will NOT include any dirty blocks in the guests cache.

Unless you collaborate with the guest, get it to stop updating the filesystem, and flush it's cache - then you are pretty well guaranteed dirty (and probably corrupt) data.

Sorry,
but I think that are more cleaned that if you want manage a XEN consistent snapshot, XEN must have this function!

O.K., you CAN use other external tool to have a consistent snapshots.
Very unique mode are use LVM, BUT, if you want have use a LVM snapshot, you MUST have dedicated LMV volume for ANY virtual machine....
....good?

You think really that, in a scenario with 30/50/100/150 active virtual machine, is possible use a dedicated LVM volume for any machine??????????

Enrico