Re: [Xen-users] Is xen3.4.0 more stable than 3.3.1?

To: 이동규 <dongq.lee@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Is xen3.4.0 more stable than 3.3.1?
From: Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 May 2009 03:03:00 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 May 2009 00:03:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
=?ks_c_5601-1987?B?wMy1v7HU?= <dongq.lee@xxxxxxx> writes:

> I am considering updating xen to 3.3.1 from 3.0.3 because recently dom0
> memory squeezing problem occurred.

don't let me discourage you from upgrading, 3.3 (and 3.4) is much better than
3.0.3.   However the dom0 memory squeeze problem can usually be solved
by setting dom0_mem in the /boot/grub/menu.lst of the dom0 on the xen.gz
line to the ram you want to dedicate to the Dom0 (somewhere between 512M
and 1024M)   then be sure to set dom0-min-mem (in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp)
to the same value

(you can also set dom0-min-mem to 0 in older versions of xen and in newer
versions of xen there is a enable-dom0-baloon value you can set)

either way, once you stop balloning, (something that in a dedicated
xen server environment I think is a bad idea anyhow, much like this
'memory overcommit' people are on about lately)  lots of your
stability problems will go away.