Re: [Xen-users] Problem with GPLPV drivers for server 2008

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problem with GPLPV drivers for server 2008
From: Derek Danks <derek@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 15:40:34 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 May 2009 07:41:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Friday 15 May 2009 14:13:43 Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Derek Danks <derek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi
> >        I have a rather strange problem with (DomU) windows 2008 server +
> > GPLPV drivers. After installing the PV drivers I can no longer connect
> > via RDP and the machine stops responding through vnc.
>
> Then you might be having a serius problem.
> When functioning correctly, it should work just like before, only faster.
>
> > I added the option to the boot
> > loader using bcdedit as per the instructions here
> > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenWindowsGplPv/Installing.
>
> Unfortunately that page is somewhat outdated :P
> For one, the drivers are activated by default (without the need for
> any switch), but you can add NOGPLPV to deactivate it.

Are there any newer instructions available?

> > Also xm top
> > reports the DomU as using 90-120% CPU
>
> If you still have access to domU's xen vnc console, try checking to see if:
> - you have two disks (C and D) when previoulsy there's only one (C)
> - you have two active network card (look from device manager). XenNet
> should be the only one active.

I had 2 disks originally these are still the only ones shown in "computer".
In device manager I do have 2 nic's, the Xen one and a Realtek one which has a
warning triangle in the icon.

> Note that booting to safe mode automatically disable GPLPV drivers, so
> if you lost all access you might want to boot safe mode first, then
> run bcdedit to create new entry with NOGPLPV.

I have added an entry for NOGPLPV and booted from it. I can now rdp into the
server. Am I safe to uninstall and try installing again?

> Regards,
>
> Fajar

Regards Derek

Derek Danks
Systems Administrator

Comodo CA Ltd., Registered in England No 04058690

Registered Office:
3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

The information in this e-mail and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and may be read, copied or used only by the intended recipients.
If you have received it in error please contact the sender immediately by
returning the e-mail. Please delete the e-mail and do not disclose any of its
contents to anyone. Replies to this email may be monitored by Comodo for
operational or business reasons. No responsibility is accepted for loss or
damage arising from viruses or changes made to this message after it was
sent.