Re: [Xen-users] Re: export single partitions to xen 3.1.2 domU

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Steven Timm <timm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Just as a clarification, as I read the various manuals,
it seems that the key difference is that
the enterprise linux 5.2/xen 3.1.2 (labeled 3.0.3 as it comes from Redhat)
is running libvirt, and my previous setup that I'm trying to
upgrade to that was not.

Libvirt (for most purposes) is just a frontend. You can dump libvirt
altogether if you like (which is what I did) and manage domUs using xm
commands. That way (if you want to) it can be just like your previous
setup.

Are you suggesting that
xm create, which I always use to launch the domain,
behaves differently depending on whether libvirt is running or not?

Which is why I told you earlier

"If by "convert" you mean "run these old dom0 on new version of dom0",
then you don't have to do anything. Old domU config should run just
fine."

Except that I want to move the kernel inside the domU and boot
using pygrub, which I wasn't doing on this system before.

You are right that if I try to start
the unmodified xen domU config on the new dom0  (with
disabled libvirtd) I can do it.
but if I try to change anything--
even shift to pygrub with same disk configuration, things don't work.

Ideas?

So does anyone know how to export a single partition to a
libvirt-enabled xen domU that's otherwise installed already, or

First method is to shutdown domU and edit its config file. They're
still located under /etc/xen.

That's what I'm trying.. there is no way to get any sda device
to show up at all.  Would it be different if I stopped libvirt?

Second method is to use "xm block-attach" (or virsh attach-disk). You
may still have to edit the config file afterwards.

virsh attach-disk according to its man page says that
this will make a full disk which still has to be formatted
and partitioned.  Is this not the case?

how to take a non-libvirt domU with 3 such partitions and turn it
into one that is\

Put the config file on /etc/xen, run "xm create" or "xm new"