Re: [Xen-users] Windows XP HVM on qcow diskfile and snapshots

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Windows XP HVM on qcow diskfile and snapshots
From: Brian Conway <xen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 23:50:16 -0400
Delivery-date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 20:51:12 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:sender:received:date:from:to :subject:message-id:in-reply-to:references:x-mailer:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=T1kjbQ0eEK0QwareqiafZyHwxWH4pSwFIEyE6dHRsQs=; b=YFevYm/7QTOA4qYb/lj9QaCMU7y5ufdnq+kdveIMpSWGcYsCaoDJBkC3fqh4De5oOR UvsaB5J4l8SC7Bc6Z75KhMHcmEBxVMtAZ3RejgChsr9opk3Fgc0SgKquIeftET/lToFu 3p1rjtQ13E9jN854KLX4ZjDPF+BzI5KNNh72w=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 16:10:21 +0200
Geert Janssens <info@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Created a copy-on-write disk image, based on my original image with
> qemu-img create -b <original image> -fmt qcow <new image>
> and changed the blockdevice line in my config file to
> disk = [ 'tap:qcow:<new image>,hda,w', ',hdc:cdrom,r' ]
>
> However, this configuration won't boot. To be exact, the guest aborts
> very shortly after the bios hard drive discovery. So I presume the
> copy-on-write disk image is somehow not working.
>
> Any hints on what goes wrong here ?

I have the same problem with a freshly created qcow2 image using the
qemu-img-xen tool.  The original qcow2 image works perfectly with
tap:qcow2, but attempting to use it as a base for a new image halts the
boot immediately.  The xend.log file don't show any errors, it only
points me to the VM-specific log, which just stops dead.

Perhaps this functionality isn't supported?

Brian Conway