Re: [Xen-users] Poor disk I/O with HVM stub domains

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Poor disk I/O with HVM stub domains
From: Brian Conway <xen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 22:16:32 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 19:17:16 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:sender:received:date:from:to :cc:subject:message-id:in-reply-to:references:x-mailer:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=EEuaSOCCzAaJNPt9PNNIUux+ICdMGX77AXbyzHAn0wY=; b=oqLmJv6h3RkughAvx4MyORFT3kOnVP4falDyHsgTjfT6JrYxi5ZaVNMcAQOh7xnqbY EGJ5uQxJAByimtJyY3zDESp1VfQgEzNvSHnEYzqjnmkD2qxifgmFbSZsMDlsmLkyo8S0 H/iwG/WOqT1gYY6pEpWWLUe63Mnn07o+jsp8w=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:13:57 +0700
"Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Brian Conway <xen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > idle dom0 and WinXP domU).  After following the stubdom README, I saw
> > a big performance drop-off immediately,
>
> > Thanks for any tips.
>
> A user has reported good results with xen.org's version (not Lenny's
> package), so you might want to try that first (just in case the
> problem is Lenny's packages)
>
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2009-01/msg00590.html
>
> Personally, if your goal is to improve IO performance for XP domUs,
> I'd suggest using GPLPV drivers instead of stubdom. Annoucement for
> the latest version is here
>
> http://www.nabble.com/New-version-of-GPL-PV-drivers-for-Windows-0.10.0.47-td22867090.html
>
> Older version (which have received more testing) is also available at
> http://meadowcourt.org/downloads/ (I'm using 0.9.12-pre13), so if you
> have problems with the latest version you can use this one.

Thank you.  I'm familiar with the GPL PV drivers and am testing them
separately.  My goal is to understand the functionality and performance
of HVM stub domains
(
http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2008/08/28/xen-33-feature-hvm-device-model-domain/
 ).
I see the same drop-off in performance in both Windows and FreeBSD HVMs,
which I wouldn't expect based on the above link, and GPL PV isn't an
option in the latter case (although testing 8-CURRENT as a PV guest is).

The kernel version could be the issue, it appears I'm not the only one
with this problem
( http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-04/msg00369.html ).
I'm not familiar with all the nuances of the Xen.org 2.6.18 kernel, does
it include backported drivers, or is it strictly 2.6.18 + Xen?  The ICH9
chipset on my motherboard wasn't supported in Debian until the
Etch-And-A-Half release with 2.6.24.

Brian