Re: AW: [Xen-users] freq scalling

To: Carsten Schiers <carsten@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: AW: [Xen-users] freq scalling
From: Christoph Kaminski <mangel@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 21:39:33 +0100
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 12:42:42 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Carsten Schiers schrieb:
Christoph,

you need to have several prerequisites to enable freq scaling, depending on your cpu. I can describe here what is necessary to do that for AMD CPUs < Fam10h, as I have worked
on that issue now for a while.

1) You do that in Xen or dom0-kernel (for this case by setting cpufreq=dom0-kernel) 2) In dom0-kernel, you need a kernel module, e.g. powernow-k8.ko 2a) in order to get this, you need to remove the dependency just at the beginning od drivers/cpufreq/Kconfig, which disables compilation. For Debian, you need to do that by modifying the Debian patches in debian/patches. Do a grep -r on the path.
3) you need a governor. I recommend ondeman
4) to set the governor, you need cpufreq-utils, as this governor might not be the default

hmm thats the dom0 way, dont have tried it... I have done it on my notebook with the hypervisor way - added these parameters to the hypervisor:

cpufreq=xen cpuidle

as I say, it does work with notebook but not with the desktop pc's. I try the dom0 way now.

Greetz