AW: [Xen-users] freq scalling

To: mangel <mangel@xxxxxx>, xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: AW: [Xen-users] freq scalling
From: "Carsten Schiers" <carsten@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 21:31:22 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 12:32:13 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Christoph,

you need to have several prerequisites to enable freq scaling, depending
on your cpu.
I can describe here what is necessary to do that for AMD CPUs < Fam10h,
as I have worked
on that issue now for a while.

1) You do that in Xen or dom0-kernel (for this case by setting
cpufreq=dom0-kernel)
2) In dom0-kernel, you need a kernel module, e.g. powernow-k8.ko
2a) in order to get this, you need to remove the dependency just at the
beginning od
    drivers/cpufreq/Kconfig, which disables compilation. For Debian, you
need to do that
    by modifying the Debian patches in debian/patches. Do a grep -r on
the path.
3) you need a governor. I recommend ondeman
4) to set the governor, you need cpufreq-utils, as this governor might
not be the default

BR,
Carsten.