Re: [Xen-users] Confused about how to setup Private networking between

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Confused about how to setup Private networking between Apps on different Domus
From: "Joost Roeleveld" <joost@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:38:08 +0100 (CET)
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 04:38:05 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, February 16, 2009 6:47 am, Robert Danruffin wrote:
> I just started working on Xen for my office setup a couple of weeks
> ago, and got to the point where I can install just about everything I
> need as a simple Guest.
>
> Now I'm trying to setup private communications between Domus, using
> bridges with internal IP addresses.
>
> For example
>
> Internet
>   | 192.x.x.1
> Dom0 -------- Bridge A ---- Domu #1
>   |                        |
>   |                        | Private Bridge, 10.0.0.X
>   | 192.x.x.2              |
>   |---------- Bridge B ---- Domu #2
>   |                        |
>   |                        | Private Bridge, 10.0.0.X
>   | 192.x.x.3              |
>   |---------- Bridge C ---- Domu #3
>
> (Sorry, I'm not too sure about drawing these things the right way)
>
> Domus #1 & #3 are Apache web servers and Domu #2 is a Mysql database
> server.
>
> If I do everything over the 192. addresses, everything talks to
> everything.
>
> With this new setup I've got each of the Domus configured with 2 IP
> addresses but I can't figure out how to get the web servers to talk to
> the database server over Private Bridges.  In other words using the
> 10. addresses, not the 192. addresses.
>
> I'm stuck about understanding how this is supposed to work, and what
> I'm supposed to set where.  I guess its supposed to be possible.  But
> I really have been spinning my wheels for a couple of days.
>
> Can someone please help with a suggestion or two about what to do here?

I think I can help here, but not using the xen-scripts to create the
bridges. Never did get that part to work.

As I don't know what you are using for the dom0, I will keep this generic.
You'll need to make sure you have the right packages installed for the
following.

As you already have the 192.x network working, the following should set up
the 10.x network (All this has to be done on the dom0)

1) Create a bridge device ( brctl addbr <name of bridge> )
2) Bring bridge device up ( ifconfig <name of bridge> up )

In the configuration for the domU, add the new bridge to the 'vif' part.
As example, the vif=... for my firewall domU is:
---
vif = ['mac=00:16:3E:10:01:02,bridge=netbr',
   'mac=00:16:3E:10:01:03,bridge=dmzbr']
--- (above simplified)

This should then provide 2 networks in the domU, using the MAC-addresses
specified you can then identify which interface is for which bridge.
I use udev eth-renaming to easier identify the actual interface as well,
but that is not necessary to make this work.

Please let me know if the above makes sense.

--
Joost