[Xen-users] Can't discover DHCP address of domU - can't find VNC console

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Can't discover DHCP address of domU - can't find VNC console, either
From: "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:38:58 -0800
Delivery-date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:39:41 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've got a Centos 5.2 Xen dom0, and I just built a Fedora9 guest. All went well till I tried to reconnect.

        The dom0 says:

# virsh version
Compiled against library: libvir 0.3.3
Using library: libvir 0.3.3
Using API: Xen 3.0.1
Running hypervisor: Xen 3.1.0

So far so good. The Fedora 9 domU started up and installed just fine, graphical console and all. When I tried to reconnect, there was no serial console available (no surprise there), but then I got this:

# virsh vncdisplay Fedora9
:0

#

This wasn't too helpful. I don't have access to the innards of the DHCP server so I can't find out what address got assigned. How can I find that out by poking at the dom0? And what the heck is wrong with "virsh vncdisplay"?

Mike O'Brien