[Xen-users] Best practices for httpd & MySQL under Xen w/DRBD & iSCSI?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Best practices for httpd & MySQL under Xen w/DRBD & iSCSI?
From: Daniel Kao <dkao@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:48:23 -0800
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:49:01 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi All,

I apologize in advance if this strays too far from the etiquette on the Xen userlist, however the amount of help, brainpower and experience I've received from this list with Xen and "peripheral" related issues (i.e. DRBD) have been worth more than it's weight on gold and I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to give me a "best practices" outline of what I should do and to pick their brain! ;)

Basically, I'm requesting comments for the following configuration before I build it out. Basically, I have 4 servers. Two are PowerEdge 1750's (4GB RAM each) with 3x36GB 15K U320 drives in RAID-5 in identical configurations and two are home-built ASUS RS120-E5/PA2's with 2x500GB 7.2K SATA drives in RAID-1 with Intel Xeon X3220 Quad-Core CPU's (8GB RAM each). Each of the four servers have two on-board GbE ports (Broadcom) and an Intel PRO/1000 (9401) PCIe NIC. I'm planning to use CentOS 5.x x64 on all four servers.

Basically, I would like to use the two PowerEdge 1750's as iSCSI targets for the two ASUS servers hosting Xen VM's along with DRBD so each PowerEdge would mirror each other. Normally, each ASUS server would run a single Xen PV domU instance of CentOS 5.x at any one time; so in this case, ASUS Server #1 would run a domU for MySQL and ASUS Server #2 would run a domU of Apache/httpd or vice-versa. In case of a server failure or maintenance (i.e. kernel), I would like to be able to migrate both VM's onto a single server then migrate a VM back when a server-node comes back up.

So my "high-level" questions so far are:

#1. DRBD on the PowerEdge's, I would like to use GFS. However, I'm not sure if I should use single-primary mode (HA) or dual-primary mode (Load-Balancing). I guess this would depend if I would like to, in the future, run a cluster of MySQL servers and cluster of httpd servers for load-balancing? (i.e. Both ASUS servers would have a VM of Apache/httpd and a VM of MySQL on each?)

#2. I was planning on teaming (802.3ad) the two on-board GbE on all four servers and putting them onto their own subnet (I have a 24-port Netgear L2 managed switch I use). But then I realized if I did that, I'd be putting both DRBD traffic and iSCSI traffic on the same physical wire. I need at least one port on the ASUS servers for "external" traffic. The two remaining ports can be used for DRBD and iSCSI whether separately (own network/VLAN) or teamed together and shared. No "external" traffic is required on the PowerEdge's so all three ports can be used for DRBD & iSCSI with two of the ports being able to be teamed (802.3ad).

I hope someone has a similar setup or experience with DRBD & iSCSI in getting the best performance out of them with the limited GbE ports I have available to me. I'm ready to delve into a scenario where I can "pull" the plug on a physical DRBD-node and a physical App server (under Xen), and still be ticking along!

Thanks in advance everyone.  Cheers!

--
Daniel Kao
Übermind, Inc.