Re: [Xen-users] Have to log in to start vino and guests

To: lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Have to log in to start vino and guests
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 11:57:24 +0700
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 20:58:05 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 7:16 AM, lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> When I restart the server, vino and the guests
>>>
>> Do you mean vino ON the guest?
>
> I mean on the server, both vino and the guests aren't starting until I log
> into the desktop. I would have done this without the desktop but I'm so under
> the gun lately that I thought doing it via the desktop would be easier.
>
> The problem is such as some services on windows that don't start until you
> log in.

So let me get this straight. :
- guests (a.k.a. domU) doesn't start automatically
- You need to access the SERVER (a.k.a. dom0) via vnc, which is why
you need vino
- vino on dom0 doesn't start until you login

If that's right, then you have two different problems.
First, about domU not automatically starting.
I assume you're using Centos 5.2. In that case domU's autostart is
controlled by the service xendomains. Verify that that the service
autostart using the command

chkconfig --list xendomains

(there's a GUI for this, but I prefer command line method).
Next, you probably should edit /etc/sysconfig/xendomains and change
the line that says

XENDOMAINS_SAVE=/var/lib/xen/save

XENDOMAINS_SAVE=

This will make sure that during shutdown, domUs are shutdown instead of saved.

Next, the service only starts domUs whose config is located under
/etc/xen/auto. Other distros/systems (e.g. opensolaris) uses a
different method, but for Centos that directory is where you want to
look. So for example, if you have a domU named "test", whose config
file is on /etc/xen/test. You can make it autostart by doing something
like this

cd /etc/xen/auto
ln -s ../test

Test that it works using the command

service xendomains restart

All running domUs should stop, and all domUs whose config file is
under /etc/xen/auto will be started. Just a side note, autostarting
domUs has nothing to do with a GUI desktop or whethere a user logs in
or not.

Second, about vino not starting on the server (dom0).
As I said earlier, vino is started from gnome-session. In other words,
it's only available after you log in. If you ABSOLUTELY need to access
the server using VNC without having to login manually, you can try one
of these :
- setting gdm/kdm to automatically logs in the default user during
startup. Not recommended, really, for security reasons
- Try xrdp from Dag's repository. By itself it doesnt let you access
the console, but it does provide Remote Desktop-like functionality.
http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/xrdp/ Note that with xrdp you
access it using Remote Desktop Client instead of vnc client.
- Try setting up vnc-server. http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server
provides lots of information. It actually gives you three kinds of
different setup. I'd suggest you start reading from "5. VNC-Sever
setup with no hassles with vnc-ltsp-config". This has the similar
effect with using xrdp

Hope that helps

Regards,

Fajar