Re: [Xen-users] existing linux install and xen

To: Brian Krusic <brian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] existing linux install and xen
From: Steven Timm <timm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 21:29:45 -0600 (CST)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 19:30:27 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Brian Krusic wrote:

Hi all,

What's the best way to take an already running linux install and either paravirtualize or fully virtualize it?

On some of the newer xens they actually have a utility to do this
but if you just have vanilla xen 3.1 or so,
1) rsync the current contents of your bare-metal machine to a new
partition on the machine that is running a xen-enabled kernel
2) Mount the partition, chroot, and install a xen-enabled domU kernel
 in the partition
3) Change network files as necessary to show you are on a xen instance.
4) start up and go.

Steve Timm

I've got a linux box that has too many custom installs, etc... that would take forever to redo.

My goal would be to move it to the hypervisor machine thats running a few guests.

- Brian