Re: [Xen-users] Can Xen boot a Linux OS already installed in a realparti

To: "Xen MailList" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <zhoujun@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Can Xen boot a Linux OS already installed in a realpartition
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 06:25:11 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 05:26:07 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well, you have two options:
1) If your hardware supports VT, you can boot this in a Xen HVM domU (fully virtualized).  To do this, you need to make sure that the initrd images in the Linux partition are set up correctly to support the PIIX IDE/ATA chipset and that your root and fstab entries use the correct device.
2) If you can install a Xen domU kernel into the Linux partition install, you can boot the installs in a PV domU with the PV kernel.  RH9 may take some work to get going - not sure what the latest status of RH9 domU support is.  This will get you better performance on the domUs, but requires a little more effort in getting the correct kernels installed.

-Nick

>>> <zhoujun@xxxxxxxxxx> 2008/12/02 19:24 >>>
I have two Linux Operation Systems installed on my computer,a RHEL and a RH9. The two linux are installed in real partitions .
The problem is:
  If I install Xen in RHEL, can I make RH9 a Guest DomainU and boot it using Xen? How?

Thank you !

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information. In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox. Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.