RE: [Xen-users] Building from Source

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Building from Source
From: jonr@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 09:04:37 -0800
Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:05:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quoting Nathan Eisenberg <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Franz,

Actually, I get even the same results if there is no disk line in the configuration file at all. :( Very frustrating.

Thank You,
Nathan Eisenberg
Sr. Systems Administrator
Atlas Networks, LLC

Hello Nathan,

Why are you trying to use one of the loop devices for your disk? I only ask in case there is a reason. I may be wrong but when you create a file based disk for Xen then use that in a domu when you create the domu it mounts that file on the loop device. I think what you want to do is create a file to use as the disk then reference that file in your domu config file.

I usually use lv's as disks but I think to create a file for use as a disk would be something like this:

This would create a 4GB "disk"(file).
dd if=/dev/zero of=/vms/vm_disk bs=1M count=1 seek=4095

You would then want to use mkfs.<filesystem> to put a file system on the file.
e.g.
mkfs.ext3 /opt/xendrives/vm_disk

Then in your domu you would use that as the file: device instead of loop0.

On a side note, if you have lv's they are better than file based and easier to manage.

Hope that helps,

Jon