RE: [Xen-users] Building from Source

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Building from Source
From: "Zhi Wang" <xenlando@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:33:23 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 08:34:03 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender :to:subject:mime-version:content-type:x-google-sender-auth; bh=lYPmvKO6USxgRgXg35SWI03csM6IlnzlmhcfQmTZy20=; b=TnXw/QF/3su2D4ySPpdHuwAHiBr14X8FZrapNW030Iu3GHGN+1RzTCsdWBbsP6Yu3L SGJ788IqSEKW3/0wc4moI4r99ZBzla30byDlDDm50ARjAOdcl/UYeaitAFNLqqgTz0rt WFttVYzyQIOVO8jmNEYjIgrIuM/4ycgX9skUU=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I spent many hours to try to build a working Xen from source code. This is what I found for fedora 9.

Build HVM client in Fedora 9

  1. When installing fedora core 9, partition the disk using LVM2. Create two virtual group: one for host and the other one for guest. Select the development tools when install the OS.
  2. yum install mercurial
  3. yum install dev86 (for bcc, hvmloader need this)
  4. mv /lib/tls /lib/tls.disabled
  5. echo "hwcap 0 nosegneg" > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/nosegneg.conf
  6. ldconfig
  7. make world
  8. ./install
  9. create an initrd by:
    1. # depmod 2.6.18-xen
    2. # mkinitrd -v -f --with=aacraid --with=sd_mod --with=scsi_mod initrd-2.6.18-xen.img 2.6.18-xen
  10. If you will use, VNC's mouse maybe out of sync with the host, in Windows, disable the "Enhance Pointer Precision" option in the mouse configuration
As in steps 4 and 5, I tried to disable the nosegneg warning during Xen start. But it may sometimes still appear. I have no idea why.

About the Linux distribution, some developers of Xen I happen to know use RHEL 5.2. Maybe you can try CentOS5.2.

Thanks