RE: [Xen-users] Shared SAN disk LUN between 2 servers and migrationprobl

To: "John Madden" <jmadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Shared SAN disk LUN between 2 servers and migrationproblem
From: "Simon Talbot" <simont@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:37:57 +0100
Cc: Pekka.Panula@xxxxxxxx, Ferenc Wagner <wferi@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:38:41 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
We have a 6 server Xen cluster, with shared SAN storage (directly
presenting LUNs to the host OSs). Live migration works well for both PV
and HVM domains, the only times that we have observed file system
corruption is when heartbeat has mistakenly brought the same VM up on
two machines.

Apart from that we had a test harness performing around 10,000 live
migrations randomly around the 6 server cluster without a single
incident, the domain ran perfectly throughout the test.

Once scenario I could imagine problems in however, is if your OS/HBA is
performing caching on the write operations to the SAN, so say for
example you have the domain started on Server A and heavy IO is taking
place. You live migrate to Server B and dirty data is still in the cache
of Server A being written to the SAN. Server B then starts running and
continues the heavy writes before Server A is fully flushed, this then
potentially leads to the two servers effectively both fighting over the
same device for a short period of time until Server A's cache is fully
flushed.

I must stress that we have **NOT** experienced this problem and in
general the Host OS cache is fully flushed as part of the Live
Migration, but it could be a problem in some situations where something
in the data path is performing caching that the Host OS/Xen has no
knowledge of.

What Servers/SAN/HBAs etc. are you using?

Simon

Simon Talbot MEng, ACGI
(Chief Engineer)
Tel: 020 3161 6001
Fax: 020 3161 6011

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments are private

and confidential and may be legally privileged.

It is intended for the named addressee(s) only. If you are not the
intended recipient(s), you must not read, copy or use the information
contained in any way. If you receive this email or any attachments in
error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and destroy any copy you
have of it.

We accept no responsibility for any loss or damages whatsoever arising
in any way from receipt or use of this e-mail or any attachments. This
e-mail is not intended to create legally binding commitments on our
behalf, nor do its comments reflect our corporate views or policies.