Re: [Xen-users] xen domU backups

To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen domU backups
From: Gregory Orange <gregory.orange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:41:59 +0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:42:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ferenc Wagner wrote:
James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

How is everyone doing backups in a xen world?
Are you running backup agents on individual domUs?

Yes.

Can you back up individual domUs (img files) while they are running?

Sure, but it will be an inconsistent backup.

Do you need to pause, make backup, un-pause?

That helps, but the backup will still contain dirty filesystems.

Yeah we thought about that issue and tried to address it. Currently we shutdown our Windows domUs, take an LVM snapshot, mount it, power the domU back on again, then mount and backup the snapshot. It works fairly well, except that sometimes (too often, actually) when the domUs are powered on again they fail to boot up.

Greg.