Re: [Xen-users] Solved (was: Xen3.1 and win2k8 hvm: lvm-backed disk size

On Oct 6, 2008, at 22:33 , Ross Walker wrote:

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Pim van Riezen <pi +lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Oct 6, 2008, at 12:45 , Pim van Riezen wrote:

Good Day,

We're testing the Xen3.1 branch used on CentOS5 with a win2k8 hvm guest. Unfortunately, it seems like disks exported with phy from an lvm- backed partition show up in the windows installer with a size of 0 bytes. Is this a
known issue and/or is there a workaround?

I upgraded from the CentOS xen package to Xen-3.2 built from the xensource
rpms and the problem went away.

Ok, good to know, but it would be nice to know why stock RH Xen has
the LVM problem... Oh, well.

I've got two nodes connected to that FC fabric, so if there's something interesting to test I can still give it a whirr on the original RedHat xen. I don't think pointing it to the /dev/mapper/ device node is going to do much good, though. The issue is that "phy:" images go through the xenblk back-end driver where "file:" images are fed directly to qemu. Since xenblk has no issue with accessing LV nodes on paravirtualized guests, I am assuming the issue is in the communication between qemu-dm and xenblk. Anyway, this is the lvs output:

  vps001swap vpsswap-003 -wi-a- 256.00M
  animage    vpsvg-005   -wi-a-   1.00G
  img_store  vpsvg-005   -wi-a- 100.00G
  sdb_conf   vpsvg-005   -wi-a-   4.00M
  sdb_hardy  vpsvg-005   -wi-a-   4.00M
  sdb_laurel vpsvg-005   -wi-a-   4.00M
  vps001root vpsvg-005   -wi-a-  10.00G
  win2k8     vpsvg-006   -wi-a-  20.00G

vps001swap/vps001root contain a paravirtualized guest that is configured as:

disk = [ 'phy:vpsvg-005/vps001root,sda1,w', 'phy:vpsswap-003/ vps001swap,sda2,w' ]

without incident. The win2k8 hvm guest, if I follow the xend log correctly, spawns a vbd instance just fine for the devicenode if I feed it "phy:vpsvg-006/win2k8". I'm on a shitty connection right now, so I can't really test stuff that requires vnc right now, but I'll see if pointing it directly to /dev/mapper/vpsvg--006-win2k8 will do any good.

Cheers,
Pi