Re: [Xen-users] Re: Serial Console Problem

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Serial Console Problem
From: "Andrew Lyon" <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:17:57 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 08:18:38 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=QxjUMoSE7twBBzLia5XLZNuOIEr5UwQ9qB6qFiw7k3M=; b=WAVtB1eaNFblrSk+EA9YSL0ekPFa1iOddcGCrQNUkUvcd41jNjBEBDiS4A5RFpjV05 M3uGp3njWnDX/v3AalFu+SqkHTZjv72r7HPFTSdZ5S1AGJmRVjU6WSNjUcy96sANQ0/T 4mw58t0LHLeCE9bvdFVt9e8wcfpJFX9eovhhg=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Ferenc Wagner <wferi@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Andrew Lyon" <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> It seems that the serial console is completely dead after "Freeing
>> unused kernel memory: 208k freed"
>
> That's strange indeed.  What appears on the VGA console after this
> line?  (If you can scroll back via Shift+PgUp.)
>
>> I cannot access the sysreq commands and which I need to debug a
>> lockup problem.
>
> I've never managed to get the break through the hypervisor on a serial
> port.  That means no sysrq for dom0.  That and the lack of flow
> control make the Xen serial support unprofessional.  Those would be my
> wishes for 3.4... :)

Indeed mine too, I've been getting random lockups on all 3 of the
machines I've tested Xen on, with kernel 2.6.18 xensource, 2.6.21
gentoo and 2.6.25 suse, without sysrq I don't have any hope of
debugging the lockups at all and I will probably end up abandoning Xen
which will be a real shame, I really like the performance and features
and I really dont want to go back to vmware now.

Andy