RE: [Xen-users] Using xen in multihead distributed setup

To: "John Preston" <byhisdeeds@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Using xen in multihead distributed setup
From: "Ross S. W. Walker" <RWalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:26:14 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:26:53 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
John Preston wrote:

>       You can use X in dom0 as a server for the domUs.
>
>       Just setup X servers with XDMCP in dom0 on the virtual consoles
>       of your choice. You can have them pinned down to certain domUs
>       or have the XDMCP client broadcast/multicast for the active
>       domUs to service.
>
>       You could even have particular domUs bring up SDL on a particular
>       X display in recent Xen implementations through a config option
>       (is it display?).
>
> I'm trying to implement a cheap wall display. So using
> some example numbers, a box with 4 video cards and 4
> instances of linux running within xen, with each being bound
> to a particular card. Then I have another machine or instance
> which uses XDMX an X proxy, which manages the 4 displays as one.
>
> So it sounds like I can run my individual X instances
> all under xen instead of having to buy individual boxes. Right?

Well, I'm a little lost on what your trying to accomplish. The
current Xorg implementation in CentOS 5 supports multi-head
displays in a wall configuration out-of-the-box, though for
multiple adapters to work effectively they should be the
same model. I suggest 2 dual-head adapters of the same
type, say PCIe and a host system with 2 PCIe slots of the
same speed. Any more then 2 and you will start running into
problems finding machines that have the number/type of slots
available, not to mention IRQ overlapping, bus contention,
and driver instability.

Wikipedia is always a good place to start. Then I would
look at the Xorg docs on your system, you might be
surprised at some of the advanced configurations it's
capable of.

-Ross