Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.3 hypervisor with stock dom0 kernel from Debian Et

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.3 hypervisor with stock dom0 kernel from Debian Etch?
From: Anton <anton.list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:44:39 +1200
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:45:22 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=eCDFbQo3my9t7bkHSyQnQT0qDWkET1tu3SgFtmZ4BVA=; b=Ep1XOKiMn1VZVbXNLR5I3z//2opIrPSHq36Rz6tN8eyS1E2lmz6m6w3KoBUcqcP3gm HQjWFcFv6ph1krOb9RrGpYQz4EYmmWSe+jyZLa8zsytYeVL0OsRuOiuaehtSBgp3Q9lG i6oTK/e2f1xIzMvqtEftoskG3zqrnjYNWGJ7Q=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2008/9/24  <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi.
>
> a) Is it possible to use the stock Xen/dom0 kernel from Debian Etch [1] with
> the Xen 3.3 hypervisor?

The Debian xen kernel (amd64) works fine for me as both dom0 and domU with 3.3.

The Debian kernels support my hardware a lot better though that the
standard config of the xensource kernels (more modules enabled etc).

> b) If a), is it advisable at all?

Advisable? I dunno, but I haven't had much luck getting the xensource
kernels working well at all well on Debian Etch (see other recent
thread). The combined dom0/domU xensource kernel works OKish as a dom0
but not as a PV domU, and I can't get the separate dom0 and domU
kernels working at all. I'm still trying (not very successfully) to
get them working though, but my kernel building / initrd
troubleshooting skills are only average at best.

The Debian kernel at least has the advantage of security updates via
aptitude/apt-get.

> c) If b), is this difficult to achieve or can I just to compile the
> hypervisor from source [2]?

You can compile the 3.3 hypervisor and all the tools from source (it
worked for me), and still use the standard Debian kernel for
dom0/domU.

--
Cheers
Anton