Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.3 hypervisor with stock dom0 kernel from Debian Et

To: echo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.3 hypervisor with stock dom0 kernel from Debian Etch?
From: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:11:41 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 06:12:40 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 24-09-08 13:44, Tim Post wrote:
> Hello Henrik :)

Hi Tim, thanks for your swift answer!

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 12:46 +0200, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
a) Is it possible to use the stock Xen/dom0 kernel from Debian Etch [1]
with the Xen 3.3 hypervisor?

1 - When using something other than the official XenLinux 2.6.18,
     ensure that you do proper regression tests prior to putting it
     in production. This means, take a 64 bit dom-0, mix 32/64 bit
     guests and hammer the guests for some time, or vice-versa.

Debian Etch has stayed with 2.6.18 for their Xen dom-0 kernels, I believe they should be OK.

b) If a), is it advisable at all?

2 - Building at least the HV and tools from source is desirable.
     While some distributions apply some measure of sanity prior to
     releasing their patched versions, not all do.

The Debian packaged HV and tools in Debian are on Xen 3.2. If I understand you correctly, I should be able to use the same kernel and just build the HV and tools? There aren't any required kernel changes
between 3.2 and 3.3 from Xen?

c) If b), is this difficult to achieve or can I just to compile the
hypervisor from source [2]?

3 - If you use some distributions xen-0 kernel that is newer than the
     official XenLinux kernel, ensure that it will be supported until
     dom-0 operations appear in mainstream Linux.

OK, I might be able to stick with the Debian kernel then.

Many of us are now caught with ad-hoc 2.6.24 xen-0 patched kernels in
production, this is a nightmare that you can escape with a bit of
diligence.

Sounds like a nightmare indeed. And according to the xensource wiki [3], dom0 won't even be in 2.6.27.

Best regards,
Henrik

[3] http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps