Re: [Xen-users] Converting VMWare Machine with SCSI disks

To: "James Pifer" <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Converting VMWare Machine with SCSI disks
From: "Andrew Lyon" <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:17:56 +0100
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 01:18:37 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=imBPP8WWCRaTykvyeLtqktfRlXeaoTiZ2XElX+23y9I=; b=ocYK81N9MyleJboCaIOGTDAnyMhGnt9KPSX1B7T2IDkLx6slCBoycjRvWgsutHed9x lhqj8XzJS570/SzbnN0AAaKsRVi6v+etU76BemMlpBzxjS7dHnoz7QKrJMXb7AaJv9Cu b0LZ7k1nCnbYFc1Hbw3+wnhJ2ppIWZTK4y+Jw=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 3:26 PM, James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I have done this process several times to p2v windows 2003 servers
>> using a rather convoluted method of using vmware converter to import
>> the physical install to a vmware vm, booting it once in vmware,
>> following  Microsoft kb314082, and then converting the vmdk to Xen
>> disk, once booted in Xen I have installed the GPLPV drivers.
>>

> Andy,
>
> Since we're doing very similar things, how does your process differ from
> mine?
>
> 1) I use vmware converter to capture the source system (usually an HP or
> Compaq server)
> 2) I load the VM in VMWare Server 1.x
> 3) Copy regmerge.reg to the system (created from the Microsoft article)
> 4) Install the reg file
> 5) Verify the sys files exist

The next thing I do is make sure Computer is set to ACPI
Multiprocessor PC in device manager, then shutdown, I didnt check if
the hal file exists.

I have used qemu-img to create the image file and it has worked, but I
wanted to use a dedicated partition for the VM so I boot trueimage
from iso inside the vmware vm, make a backup of the drive, then add
the target partition to a existing xen windows 2003 vm which has
trueimage installed and restore it through that, then shutdown the
2003 vm, remove the extra partition, add it to the target xen vm and
boot it up.

I am building a new Xen box at the moment, once its done I need to
import 4 servers so I will keep notes and let you know exactly the
process i follow and if it works or not.

> 6) run qemu-img to create the img file
> 7) mount the img file and copy in the hal. I've tried several. The
> standard hal has worked on the ide machines.
> 8) boot the system in xen.
>
> On your scsi machines, which hal and what acpi and apic settings have
> worked for you? I think you previously said the hal you used was
> halmacpi.dll.

ACPI Multiprocessor PC = halmacpi.dll, so rather than adding the hal
to the image I change it inside the vmware vm.

My xen vm settings are:

import os, re
arch = os.uname()[4]
if re.search('64', arch):
    arch_libdir = 'lib64'
else:
    arch_libdir = 'lib'
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 1024
name = "Win2003"
uuid = "b30f5d7b-b88f-43f3-8b28-20306775d457"
vcpus=2
vif = [ '' ]
disk = [ 'phy:sda11,hda,w', ',hdc:cdrom,r' ]
device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
boot="c"
sdl=0
vnc=1
vnclisten="127.0.0.1"