Re: [Xen-users] Nasty kernel panic

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525
timm@xxxxxxxx  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Grid Facilities Department, FermiGrid Services Group, Assistant Group Leader.

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Todd Deshane wrote:

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Steven Timm <timm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have seen the following kernel panic 5 times today on
three different machines, two of which had been stable
for months and one of which is a brand new install.

I just have to ask the obvious question, what changed?
Something in your environment maybe?

Today we did a heavy rsync load from the old machine to the
new machine, and shutdown some of the VM's for the first time since
we'd deployed the old machine. Two of the crashes happened around that time (both on the source and destination meachine) Another machine also crashed, which we were not working on, but is the half of the HA-squid
server that was supposed to pick up the load.
(These machines are predominantly squid servers.)
I'm in the process of changing all my servers from poweredge 2850
to 2950.  I've deployed 3 other 2950's of near-identical OS configuration
that hadn't crashed.  But in today's events, both the 2850 I rsync'ed off
of, and the 2950 I rsync'ed on to, crashed at one point or another.

Have you figured out a way to reliable reproduce it?
It seems like the key is lots of ongoing I/O simultaneous to
one or more vm's getting restarted.  Since all the post-install
reboots of the various xen instances finished, we've been fine.

If so, it may be worthwhile to set debug = y" in Config.mk in
the Xen source tree
I didn't build this source--this is the vanilla 2.6.18-xen kernel
that was available in the xen 3.1.0 tarballs from xen.org.

From the messages it does look network related...

Any way to check if there is spare ipv6 configuration laying around
somewhere, possibly in the domu's?

Steve

Hope that helps,
Cheers,