[Xen-users] Network dies when downloading on dom0

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Network dies when downloading on dom0
From: Truls Asheim <truls@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 03:39:38 +0200
Delivery-date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 18:40:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi

I'm running the following setup:
 - Gentoo Linux 2.6.21-xen (on both dom0 and all domUs)
 - Xen 3.2.1
 - Firewall (shorewall) running in a domU
 - Bridged networking

The problem I'm having is that whenever i download a large file (3mb+)
from the internet on the dom0 any networking on the host machine dies
and the dom0 and all its domU's become completely unavailible for about
5 minutes whereafter the network comes back up again and everything
starts working.

I have no problems transfering large files between the dom0 and the rest
of my LAN. Only data transfers between the dom0 and a domU seems to be
problematic.

In the past i have had similar problems when transfering files between
the dom0 and a domU via a NFS. I solved them by specifying
rsize=1536 wsize=1536 when mounting the NFS volume on a domU.

I have tried reducing the MTU from 1500 til 1400 on all interfaces
without any luck.

Does anyone have a clue of whats going on?

Thanks in advance
Truls Asheim