Re: [Xen-users] xen tools compile failed - missing gnu/stubs-32.h

Hi Todd,

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 08:59 -0400, Todd Deshane wrote:
> I just did a apt-get install libc6-dev-i386
> The ln might not be so harmless necessarily

Its more or less a work around for setting __WORDSIZE (32 or 64) by just
including stubs.h , which in turn includes stubs-$(__WORDSIZE).h.

So if __WORDSIZE is 64, stubs-64.h is included, else stubs32, each one
defines respective stub functions that just fail (and set errno) which
are slightly different. If you follow the spaghetti trail through bits/
you'll see what I mean.

stubs-32 is included, but stuff is linked against whatever arch your
building on, which means stubs-64 should be used if compiling on a 64
bit machine.

> Whose bug is it? If it is Xen's then shouldn't it be fixed before the release?

Not really a bug, just a quirk.

> Although a dependency on the i386 libc devel package isn't that big of a
> deal really.

That's where I get confused, as i386 libc doesn't appear to be being
used, but checks are done against its stubs. That means certain stubs
might not actually fail that should?

I could be wrong, however :)

Cheers,
--Tim