[Xen-users] Re: [DRBD-user] Re: DRBD VBD's with Xen status

To: drbd-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Xen list" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: [DRBD-user] Re: DRBD VBD's with Xen status
From: "Jerry Amundson" <jamundso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:58:44 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:59:24 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=1ZtxwEWchRBu8neWmNyBi336bVJJuij9Y7O120VXMxA=; b=KAGetc4KkpnTt5vA1Ce8TVftvtWXjDbqt3/4MeVfOVKyGWwD9Lwze3p0dyAwsz6EP0 PuIYYg2RZyqSxUJWeJhmhFIzimukHjtgN/wTSmH24Cc1ci4Q512wfBqih5nlgv7Ekoel m9vu3J7iUjcLL1T3Ur3jBxTkb3+UrTkn7YtUo=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Jan Kellermann|werk21
<jan.kellermann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Jerry,
>
> using PVM and drbd:... on centos 5.2 works fine.

In some cases, but not all. The natural case is to install CentOS 5.2,
with the Virtualization group, and run virt-manager, which sets pygrub
in the resulting config. Editing a xen config created by virt-manager,
and setting it to use the drbd backend as documented, results in a big
fat error.
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/ch-xen.html

> Robert Dunkley (the mail on xen-users you quoted) did an error:
> he took the device-name and not the ressource-name of the drbd-drive.

No. The error is "Error: Disk isn't accessible" either way.
The problem, as Florian points out, is with pygrub.
http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2007-November/007794.html

The point I'm trying to make is that the DRBD chapter on Xen can
potentially waste the time of a new CentOS admin using it. Yes, I
agree that pygrub (and virt-manger) code needs fixing, and enhancing
(respectively), but that's a development issue. This is a simple
documentation fix.

jerry

--
There's plenty of youth in America - it's time we find the "fountain of smart".