Re: [Xen-users] dom0 and domU shutdown behavior

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] dom0 and domU shutdown behavior
From: "Daniel Asplund" <danielsaori@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 23:26:29 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 14:27:05 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=YRoiefMF1U4HEAZTRa4P+FbDQyXw/U/ARa6sWmYkn2E=; b=sAlyBSzi33WnwihvDFyqyRp52TTpHarICPXlTOjBdYzYgGgWhbuIBGfvOg+nVcvuMD Khrgybpnpt0jNM4LYHNtxl/ZPu5v4X/XOky9uJcDbyj0FBaKU+VhzLT/5J/vu1bHAzSp bOxRWwQkBdGYMO2CgT98pgZkW8SfIXUfdFLmw=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 7:03 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If I do an xm shutdown or shutdown from within domU I get a graceful
> shutdown. If I shutdown dom0 the guests are just getting "killed". Is
> there a way to make dom0 shut down the domUs more gracefully?
> I haven't seen any ill effects yet, but I assume a graceful shutdown would
> be better in any case.
>
> Documentation at
> http://tx.downloads.xensource.com/downloads/docs/user/#SECTION022300000000
> 00000000
> says that xendomains would do this. However, I can't see that it does.
>
> I also see these explanations in man xmdomain.cfg (which don't seem to
> apply to the situation above, I'm just asking about one option):
>
> on_shutdown
>   Triggered on either an xm shutdown or graceful shutdown from inside
>   the DomU.
>
> on_reboot
>   Triggered on either an xm reboot or graceful reboot from inside the
>   DomU.
>
> on_crash
>   Triggered when a DomU goes to the crashed state for any reason.
>
> However, in my original config files created with virt-manager quite some
> time ago I have
>
> on_poweroff =
>
> Is on_poweroff valid anymore? Or is on_shutdown maybe wrong documentation?
>
> Kai
>
> --
> Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany
> Get your web at Conactive Internet Services: http://www.conactive.com

Yeah, I had similar experience with Ubuntu 8.04.
But I had Heartbeat controlling the shutdown and from within the
heartbeat init-script I called the xendomains resource script. So I
didn't have xendomains running directly at boot/shutdown.

To resolve it I had to add a sleep command in the heartbeat
init-script to make it wait for the domains to shutdown before
continuing with the Dom0 shutdown.

Which dist are you running?

//Daniel