Re: [Xen-users] Installing 3.2.1 on Debian Etch

To: Dave OMeara <dave.omeara1@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Installing 3.2.1 on Debian Etch
From: Joris Dobbelsteen <joris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 02:27:41 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 17:28:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dave OMeara wrote:
Hi,

I have been testing XenServer 4.1 and I have migrated to Xen 3.2.1 due
to the lack of PCI passthrough in Citrix XenServer.

I've spent 6 hours this evening installing backports packages and/or
compiling the source in a fresh Debian Etch install. But still my DomU
is crashing. I suspect I have too many versions floating around now so
I will try again from scratch. What is the simplest method of
installing 3.2.1 into Etch?

I took Gentoo instead. They have cutting edge and it all worked out of the box for 3.1.2 (when that was the newest release). This distro is tuned for compiling, what you are currently doing anyways.

Debian backports should generally work, but probably you should provide a LOT more information what is going on. What crashed do you experience? What is the configuration? You are doing (the little used) PCI passthrough, is anything going wrong here (e.g. my HP Laserjet will not work on a delegated USB port)?

Also, is there a decent freely available alternative to XenCenter?
Preferably on Windows for now, but I'm not opposed to a Linux tool.

Don't know, I do it by hand. Its not that hard, but its at least flexible.

- Joris