[Xen-users] Measure disk activity in full-virtualization.

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Measure disk activity in full-virtualization.
From: "Alejandro Paredes" <aleparedes@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 16:30:50 -0300
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:31:58 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding :content-disposition; bh=3b1jHZgBN0KuPzDMJh5iIkwdTNHZZBJCTNgURVTOSco=; b=HFsAeYth5cT3yCqA2jPkEPDb3Uer3g11j9G0nMXFIBSXhU9GNRkTscoVfByCREiFt2 Ticncmb1pDPQLE6JaAA9en6962jBWX61k3aZvSLNscITgYfOQvdsbuKWsz+dE89fG/rS tDOXCoAcp6Vv46Te1V1aKKzOkApKYwMohHc2w=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've been doing tests to compare the performance isolation between
para-virtualized and full-virtualized guests using Intel VT. First of
all we performed tests over 2 VM's (paravirtualized guest). Some bench
stressing memory and disk were done measured by xenmon and virt-top.
These two measure tools helped to determine CPU allocations, blocked
and waited times, and everything worked fine.

For measure disk usage, I understand that xenmon measures the transfer
of memory pages between DomU and Dom0, and virt-top could show VBD_RD
and VBD_WR for each VM. The problem arrived when measuring
full-virtualized guests. I can't measure de disk usage of a particular
VM. I know that the split device driver model used in
para-virtualization change by the complete emulation of the hardware.

I found that the process that handles the VM image is called qemu-dm.
When stressing disk activity of that VM (let's say VM1), no disk usage
of the qemu-dm process related to the VM1 is detected (using for
example pidstat over qemu-dm).Virt-top and xenmon didn't give me any
value reflecting disk usage when full-virtualized guest are stressed.

Is there any way to measure disk activity of a particular VM with full
virtualization?
Why virt-top and xenmon didn't give me any value?
Anybody tried something like this?

Thanks!

Alejandro.