Re: [Xen-users] Consolidating machines using xen

On Sunday 13 July 2008, Christopher Isip wrote:

<snip>

> > Oh yeah, couple things I forgot. What about sound and USB devices from
> > domU's? Not something I even think about in my work environment.
>
> This can be done as well.  I have pcibacked usb devices (/sbin/lspci
> devices) for use in domUs.  So far I have managed to get usb printers
> working, an X10 usb automation device, a bluetooth usb device.  I've also
> used a usb to parallel port and usb to serial port device in a domU.  Only
> the usb printers needed a bit of tweakage and I could only get it to work
> in a Centos domU.  You will have to have the source kernel installed and
> edit usblp.c to reduce memory from 8192 to 4096, recompile usblp and use
> that to replace the current module. The information is on  a list
> somewhere.  Also , it seems that late pciback binding is not possible for
> usb devices. Therefore, you will have to create a initrd which preloads
> pciback.

I think some people have made the virtual soundcard emulation work - sound
comes out of the ioemu process in dom0.  It's SB16 emulation, I think.

USB passthrough of individual dom0 devices to a domU should be possible in
theory, however I've heard varying reports of how well this works so YMMV.
The approach of PCI-passthrough-ing a USB controller mentioned above works
fine, though.

Cheers,
Mark