Re: [Xen-users] mail server on a xen guest?

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] mail server on a xen guest?
From: "Peter Peltonen" <peter.peltonen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:54:42 +0300
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:55:15 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=foGK8AAKM/HqADiMSSDYn2oyvx1NCT1ru6xj9HYMP5I=; b=jnRKx2blmfJ8ZRzO1jfsKJnt89Zqmhs7h4o6pgaVL9aOatJH4/33D/Barr2fLsQTfK OIHCqjMfUl7R/VOGbrCT+/Vwc2tORVYJS3NKLCQwx58RQYC7TF0mNVPSiRIfUOsZXjK8 NliDTgWP6WOUIN8a5+2ZPVassIZuOE6VW7zP0=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 2:58 PM, John Haxby <john.haxby@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> RAID5 isn't going to be good for mail: a lot of the disk-writes are going to
> be very small and there are going to be a hell of a lot of them, especially
> with that kind of incoming load.   Actually, with that kind of incoming load
> I don't think you're going to want to run the mail server on anything other
> than the bare metal anyway: virtual machines work well when you have servers
> that are individually relatively lightly loaded and it doesn't look as
> though yours is.

Are you speaking from experience or is this just a well educated guess?

Are many small disk writes something that Xen is particullary not good with?

Best,
Peter