Re: [Xen-users] mail server on a xen guest?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] mail server on a xen guest?
From: Andy Burns <lists.xensource.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 17:44:52 +0100
Delivery-date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:45:28 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 05/07/2008 17:25, Peter Peltonen wrote:

I'm building a new qmail based mail server. I now have a quad-core
server with 8 gigabytes of RAM and RAID-5 disk setup. I need to run a
virtual web server on that host too, so I'm installing Xen on that
host.  What I am wondering now is should I install qmail also on a
virtual server (domU) or on the master server (dom0)?

I'd say in it's own domU, given you've installed xen, incidentally (not a trick question!) why did you pick xen for the web server?

Has anyone
experience about running qmail under xen domU? I could dedicate 1-2
cores for the qmailtoaster domU and lots of RAM, but I'm a bit worried
about disk I/O, as I've read that this can be a bottleneck in Xen.

my dom0 hardware can sustain over 320MB/s, a linux domU on that box gets 140MB/s and a windows domU up to 50MB/s

I'd
like to hear stories like "I've run mail server on a domU with 100
active domains and 10 000 incoming messages a day without problems)"
:)

Can't say I have, but that doesn't sound *so* challenging, I'm sure my laptop gets half that amount of spam a day ;-)

I do run a postgres/dovecot/squirrelmail server on a domU with about 20 domains, volumes are lower, but I don't think it'd worry me if they went up ten fold ...