Re: [Xen-users] Network connection lost

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Network connection lost
From: "Herman Hellenbrand" <herman.hellenbrand@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:48:39 +0200 (CEST)
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 04:49:12 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Stefan Kögl wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> I have a strange problem. I'm using Xen on Suse Enterprise Serer 10.
>> Last week, I upgrade to SP2. Since then, I have troubles with the
>> network connection to the virtual machine. The problem is, that the
>> connection something stable (mean that it is accessible) and sometimes, it
>> will be lost after a few seconds after a reset (ifdown, ifup). After that,
>> mostly I get a new connection, but a few seconds later, the
>> connection is lost again. The most strange is, that it seem to be
>> happens only on some 'periods'.
>
> Its hard to tell, but I had the same symptons after having cloned a
> DomU and forget to change the MAC address on the cloned machine.
>
> Does this happen only on one machine or are others affected, too?
>
> Regards,
>
> Stefan

I have configured a DHCP Server on (older) linux machine. The DomU, and
the Virtual Machine get their IP address from this DHCP server. When the
connection is lost of the virtual machine, the connecton of DomU is not
lost. So, I don't think it is a problem with the DHCP Server or DomU
machine. But, in january, my DomU has crashed, and I have installed a new
one. The virtual machine was not crashed, so I configured the DomU to use
the 'old' virtual machine. This was done with the Suse Virtual Machine
Manager. This seem to work, until I updated to Service Pack 2. I have
found that Novell-zmd seem to give problems with Xen, so I disabled it on
the DomU and the Virtual Machine, but, the connection is still lost. I
also checked if there is any 'double' mac-address in use, but I'm sure,
there are no 'double' mac-addresses.