Re: [Xen-users] Poor network performance on Dom0 [2.6.18-6-xen-amd64]

Hallo!

..
Is there any way to stop that module from loading without having to modify the initrd?

dont know that, but actually just for sake of experiment it is not hard to make new ramdisk archive, for example like that for the running kernel

 bash# mkinitramfs -o /boot/ramdisk-20080705.img

and direct additional grub boot entry to use it.

In this way you could at least check how different drivers perform with your adapter. To look into ramdisk just unpack the archive

 bash# mkdir /tmp/ramdisk-20080705 && cd /tmp/ramdisk-20080705
 bash# gunzip -c ../ramdisk.img | cpio -dmvi

Meanwhile, i've modified my xend-config file, setting dom0-cpus to 1 (it was set to 0). Then i restarted the server, and so far so good. I'll keep it running for several days and see what happens.

The network adapter always works fine for some time when the system has been restarted. And then, all of a sudden, it starts performing very poorly, or it looses connection, having to reboot in order to get it working again.

Somehow i think there is some kind of unluck going on around your motherboard and adapter and perhaps easiest workaround is just to get new ethernet adapter and life is good again! :)

Or as an experiment boot again your system up with an ordinary kernel and stresstest network adapter. For example flood some traffic thru it with hping3 and monitor how it performs with iptraf.

And last but not least, Xen system shows up for the local switch as multiple mac addresses behind the same switch port. Maybe it has something to do with it. If you can, use only single ip address and mac address in association with that adapter. I.e. in dom0 leave the ethx's ip addres unconfigured and configure its ip address only in domU.

Also, perhaps you could load ethernet adpater module with some arguments or tweak something with ifconfig i.e. media options. With ethtool -s you could also change media options like speed, maybe it changes it somehow by itself.

And in ifconfig output look at the errors
TX packets:133486462 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

I am quite ordinary computer user, thats about all what i could possible help on this one, some network or xen hard core is of more help most probably. And good luck!

Imre

PS I have old good asus a8n-sli premium motherboard which has lost by now almost everything but its name, i.e. onboard sata ports start giving errors after running some weeks and also onboard ethernet adapters stop working. At the same time ethernet adapters as pci card work correctly although sometime they agree with switch on wrong speed.

Best regards,
Alex