[Xen-users] How can I get an xserver starting on a xen 3.2.1 guest domai

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] How can I get an xserver starting on a xen 3.2.1 guest domain?
From: Andreas Rudin <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 18:54:06 +0200
Delivery-date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 09:55:09 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all

I'm trying to make my first steps with xen, and now I have the following
problem:

I have a asus M3A mainboard with phenom cpu and 4 GB Ram.
I followed these instructions:
http://www.howtoforge.com/high-performance-xen-on-ubuntu-8.04-amd64
Everything went fine, I got dom0 running and can start a domU, both on a
console.
(kernel version 2.6.24-19-xen)
Now I want to have kubuntu running on the domU-domain, so in that domain
I installed the packages kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-default-settings and
language-selector-qt. I also installed vnc4server, xvncviewer and vnc-java.

But now if I enter vncserver, I get the message:
xauth: (stdin):1: bad display name "ASUS-RVI11:1" in "add" command

And then after typing xvncviewer, I get:
unable to open display''

I then also installed vnc4server and xserver-xorg on dom0, but this
doesn't change anything.
What am I making wrong? What can I do to get the xserver running on domU?
Do I really have to install a complete desktop environment on dom0?

On the xen IRC I got the tipp to use vfb

I added:

vfb = [ "type=vnc" ] in the config file, but didn't get any changes.

I also tried with

vfb = [ "type=sdl" ]

But no difference.

What value do I have to assign to display and xauthority? the
Environmental variables $DISPLAY and $XAUTHORITY are not set my machine?

I also tried to setup a WindowsXP HVM domain.

When I start the domain with:
xm create winxp.hvm

The domain is created, but immediately shut down again.

I have posted my config- and log-files here:
http://www.revamp-it.ch/test/

Any help is appreciated!

Andreas
- --