Re: [Xen-users] Advantages of HVM vs. paravirtualization in aLinux-only

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Advantages of HVM vs. paravirtualization in aLinux-only enviroment?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:55:27 +0100
Cc: "Jamie J. Begin" <begin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:56:12 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Thanks for the reply; at least I know I'm on the right track.  However, it
> doesn't look like permissive mode actually solved my problem.
>
> When I try to reboot dom0, it switches to runlevel 6 and the xen init.d
> script attempts to pause the Asterisk domU.

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzt!  The mention of "Pause" rings alarm bells for me.  I did
think that the Xen init scripts didn't actually do a suspend on a domain with
passed-through PCI devices (or at least that Xend wouldn't allow it) but I
could be wrong.  Still, if it manages to suspend or pause a domain with PCI
passthrough then some "interesting" things might conceivably happen.

IIRC it's possible to configure some of the behaviour of the init script, so
it might be possible to persuade it to not do whatever unfortunate behaviours
it's currently trying, either by modifying the script directly or possibly by
tweaking an option on /etc/sysconfig.

Cheers,
Mark