RE: [Xen-users] Advantages of HVM vs. paravirtualization in aLinux-only

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Advantages of HVM vs. paravirtualization in aLinux-only enviroment?
From: "Jamie J. Begin" <begin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 19:43:39 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:44:20 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the reply; at least I know I'm on the right track.  However, it
doesn't look like permissive mode actually solved my problem.

When I try to reboot dom0, it switches to runlevel 6 and the xen init.d
script attempts to pause the Asterisk domU.  It's at that point I get an
"hda: interrupt lost" on the physical console. SSH become inaccessible and
eventually the system pukes up a bunch of ext3 and RAID controller related
errors and freezes.  I have to physically power cycle the box to get it back
up.

Any suggestions?  This is a new Dell PowerEdge 1950 with a PERC SATA RAID 1
array, running CentOS 5.1 (2.6.18-53.1.14.el5xen) in both the dom0 and domU.
The PCI device that's being passed-through to the domU is a Digium AEX800
(which is actually a PCIe version of Digium's PCI-based TDM800P). lspci
output is:

0b:08.0 Ethernet controller: Digium, Inc. Unknown device 8002 (rev 11)
        Subsystem: Digium, Inc. Unknown device 8002
        Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
        Region 0: I/O ports at dc00 [disabled] [size=256]
        Region 1: Memory at fc7dfc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
[size=1K]
        Expansion ROM at fc7e0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0+,D1+,D2+,D3hot+,D3cold-)