Re: [Xen-users] help needed

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] help needed
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:14:03 +0100
Cc: Stephen Spector <stephen.spector@xxxxxxxxxx>, Venefax <venefax@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:14:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Philip,

> I need a consultant to help me install the latest Kernel 3.2. I compiled it
> successfully under Centos 5.1 64 Bits, did "make world", "make install",
> end it did not show any error.

Good start.

> I changed the grub.conf file as per the
> README, but the machine did not boot.

We'll need more information here.  Do you have physical access to the machine?
If so, did you see anything interesting on the screen?

You should see:
1) computer's BIOS screen
2) Grub menu
3) Xen's initial bootup text (including the Xen version in big friendly
letters).  This will scroll past very quickly.
4) dom0 Linux's kernel bootup text.  This will probably scroll quickly too.
5) dom0 Linux's userspace startup text.

New Xen installs often fail at point 3 (if the grub configuration is somehow
broken, or Xen was not successfully installed), point 4 (for various
configuration reasons), or point 5.

If the failure is at point 3 (you're seeing grub but you're not seeing Xen
start) then we'll need to verify your Xen install and grub config.

If your failure is at point 4 then the system may be rebooting before you have
a chance to see what's gone wrong.  If you add "noreboot" to Xen's
commandline in your grub config then the system will pause at this point and
allow you to inspect what's gone wrong.  You'll need to power cycle the
machine to reboot it.

> There is must be something missing in
> the instructions. If somebody who can help me

Unfortunately, the instructions are sometimes better treated as "guidelines"
rather than a definite sequence of steps to reach a working system.  Open
Source developers tend not to produce good documentation :-(

> I will pay him/her via
> paypal. Has anybody succeded installing it under Centos 5.1 64 bits?

Assuming you've not found a consultant to hire privately, lets try and work
through this on the mailing list a bit.  Any troubleshooting we succeed in
doing should be useful to any consultant you might hire, especially if he /
she is working remotely.

Cheers,
Mark