Re: [Xen-users] Re: How does one create a bridge interfaces in dom0 with

To: "Martin Leben" <ml060223@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: How does one create a bridge interfaces in dom0 without IPs?
From: "Freddie Cash" <fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 18:13:59 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 18:14:33 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=UxLrf3k5Nx/r571Ol7+8IbfH9kg5iuDQtGDXJJv4RrI=; b=tEcd303IsV9pnB27nlXV7SylDSAgbl4wRT3rBphTWPG4fC54RXOe5eU5c6SY/jbAYkURA9VZKEqmidGlAWlh/xrbaXjcF3GeRUFBvjF46ItGOQYLz9EeFteCz947x35nufeFTk+g1R0YDe4mILbOQuYy2dbdO3ZoHEiLgbmDbhY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Martin Leben <ml060223@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Freddie Cash wrote:
>
> > Anyone with enough sh-foo willing to write a more usable, configurable
> network-bridge script that works the way the Xen 3.0 one does (dropping the
> 3.0 script in place or even the scripts/ directory doesn't work with Xen
> 3.2)?  Something that will correctly take vifnum=, netdev=, and bridge=
> options, and use them accordingly?  Something that can be used by those of
> us that have beefy servers with multiple NICs that we want to configure
> using multiple bridges.
> >
> > Or be willing to explain to me how the network-script works, such that I
> could re-write it to accept and *use* those options?  (I can't read the
> current script well enough to follow what it is doing, and my attempts to
> write a custom one using the "ip", "brctl", and what not commands have all
> failed horribly.)

>  I don't know if my shell fu is good enough, but I have multiple bridges
> working. I posted about it quite recently:
>  <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.user/33926>
>
>  In short, I created a custom network script:

Doesn't work with Xen 3.2 on Ubuntu Hardy.  The network-bridge script
that comes with Xen 3.2 on Ubunut Hardy does not accept or use any
parameters beyond "start".  No vifnum, no netdev, no bridge, nothing.
It doesn't work.

And it doesn't work if the interfaces don't have IP addresses assigned to them.

And the order that network cables are plugged into the system after
boot makes a difference (the vif0.X devices are created based on the
order that the cables are connected and the link detected ... and not
on the interface name/number).  So if you connect two NICs to two
separate switches, and the switches power on in a different order,
your vif0.X are numbered differently.  Which means the bridges are
configured differently.

On a system with 7 NIC ports, this is a hassle and a configuration
nightmare (using Xen 3.2 on Ubuntu Hardy).

On my other system, with Xen 3.0 on Debian Etch, these things don't
happen.  But the Etch kernels don't support the quad-port NIC.

>  .. and in the domU:s I just use "bridge=xenbr0" or "bridge=xenbr1". Very
> simple.  No requirement to assign IP addresses to the dom0 interfaces.

Except it doesn't work that way on Xen 3.2 on Ubuntu Hardy.  :(

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx