[Xen-users] Re: How does one create a bridge interfaces in dom0 without

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: How does one create a bridge interfaces in dom0 without IPs?
From: Martin Leben <ml060223@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 01:16:52 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 16:18:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Freddie Cash wrote:
Anyone with enough sh-foo willing to write a more usable, configurable network-bridge script that works the way the Xen 3.0 one does (dropping the 3.0 script in place or even the scripts/ directory doesn't work with Xen 3.2)? Something that will correctly take vifnum=, netdev=, and bridge= options, and use them accordingly? Something that can be used by those of us that have beefy servers with multiple NICs that we want to configure using multiple bridges.

Or be willing to explain to me how the network-script works, such that I could re-write it to accept and *use* those options? (I can't read the current script well enough to follow what it is doing, and my attempts to write a custom one using the "ip", "brctl", and what not commands have all failed horribly.)

Hi Freddie,

I don't know if my shell fu is good enough, but I have multiple bridges working. I posted about it quite recently:
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.user/33926>

In short, I created a custom network script:

# cat /etc/xen/scripts/my-network-script
#!/bin/sh
dir=$(dirname "$0")
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=0
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=1

... which is then used by xen:

# egrep -v "^(#|$)" /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp
(network-script my-network-script)
(vif-script vif-bridge)
(dom0-min-mem 196)
(dom0-cpus 0)

.. and in the domU:s I just use "bridge=xenbr0" or "bridge=xenbr1". Very simple. No requirement to assign IP addresses to the dom0 interfaces.

Good luck!
/Martin Leben