RE: [Xen-users] Set memory free after shutdown

xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx a écrit sur 21/01/2008 15:30:31 :

> Well... Let's suppose you give the 1GB of memory the VM was consuming back
> to the dom0. It starts it and filling it up. What do you think will happen
> if you want to start the VM again? He will tell you he doesn't has enough
> free memory to boot your VM. I think Xen doens't have something like
> ballooning (it starts a dummy process which comsumes lots of memory to
> make the machine put his own processes into swap to free the physical
> memory to launch the VM). That's why it is best to put the dom0_mem
> parameter in the kernel line...

Reading the documentation, Xen does have ballooning. Without the dom0_mem parameter, the dom0 uses all available memory, then it "balloons out" enough memory for each created domU, until it reaches the minimum amount of memory for itself, defined in the "dom0-min-mem" parameter of the xend-config.sxp file. In this case, it refuses to ceate the domU.
Nowhere the documentation talks about a "balloon in" of the memory when a domU is stopped. IMHO, this behavior is understandable.

If you really want to release to the dom0 the memory used by the stopped domU, try to do this manually by:
        xm mem-set 0 2G

Greetings,
Alain